Ewyas Harold vs Wellington Rangers HFA County League Premier

Wellington Rangers fight back to rescue a point at Ewyas Harold

James Thomas
Two sides with realistic ambitions of claiming the Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division met on Saturday

It was a game of two halves between Ewyas Harold and Wellington Rangers on Saturday afternoon in the Herefordshire Premier League. The home side were two goals up at half time, but Wellington went onto dominate the second half and earn a share of the spoils.

Ewyas Harold took the lead in the 10th minute after 11 got the better of the keeper. With the keeper diving to block an initial shot, Richard Sevenoaks got on the end of the loose ball to open the scoring.

A quick succession of shots for the visitors followed as they looked to cancel out the opener. The best of which saw James Price’s shot from the right of the box whistled just wide at the near post

The first corner of the game went Ewyas Harold’s way, but the keeper rose above the rest of the pack to punch the ball clear.
At the other end of the pitch, another chance for Price followed, Mike Docherty’s outstretched leg blocked the shot.

As half time approached, an own goal saw Ewyas Harold’s lead extended to two goals. As a cross was whipped into the box, the ball came off the head of a defender and into the back of his own net.

Seven minutes into the second half, the keeper brought down Ryan Daw in the box, with the referee pointing immediately to the spot. Daw stepped up, and despite the keeper getting a hand to it low to his right, Wellington were able to pull a goal back.

Pete Wall went close to equalising moments later, but his shot was parried by the keeper. Follow up shots from Chris Bush and Nick Britton were both blocked, with the covering defenders scrambling to clear the danger.

12 minutes from time, a foul on Ryan Daw saw Wellington level the score. Following a foul 25-yards out, Glenn Sequst’s curling free kick into the box fell nicely for Pete Wall to stab across the line.

A late attack for the home side couldn’t see them take the lead. Aaron King skipped past a trio of midfielders to set up winger George Worswick with a chance, but he couldn’t find the back of the net.
Into the final few minutes and Matt James was unlucky not to be able to grab the three points on offer. After making a good run to the back post to get on the end of Worswick’s cross, he couldn’t direct his header past the keeper.

Full time: Ewyas Harold 2 – Wellington Rangers 2

Ewyas Harold manager Malcolm Watkins admitted it was a close game and it looks like it’ll be a good end to the season.

“It was a closely-fought game between two good sides with different qualities. It was a good match and when you’re two-nil up at half time, you’ve got to think you’re going to see the game out.
“Wellington never gave, they never give up, so fair play to them. It’s close at the top of the prem and it’s putting some excitement back into it locally. It’s making a really good climax to the season.

Wellington Rangers manager Chris Evans was disappointed with his side’s mistakes leading to Ewyas Harold’s goals, but was happy with the point.

“It was a good game, but a game of two halves. Both teams played well but it was our errors that gave them two goals. If that didn’t happen then we probably would’ve won the game.
“It’s difficult because we haven’t played for a few weeks. But the guys did really well and I’m happy to take the draw after being two-nil down in the first half.”

League Table

Ewyas Harold 2 - 2 Wellington Rangers in HFA County League

For more photos visit our Flickr page