The FA Referee Course
The FA Basic Referee Course
In addition to the 3 day course and services of the FA Referee Tutor the following is included in the price:
- Laws of the Game Book and DVD
- Refereeing Folder containing advice on refereeing, fitness and misconduct
- Safeguarding and Respect Training
- Whistle, match book with red and yellow cards, pencil match record pad
- Access to a Referee Mentor during your first season
- Registration to the Herefordshire FA
- Enhanced CRC
- Certificate and FA Referees Badge following your first 5 games
- Associate membership of the Herefordshire Referee's Association
Referees will receive a match fee of approximately £15-25 which varies dependent on the competition and age group of the match. Referees can also receive expenses for mileage in some competitions. Therefore after completing your first 5 training matches you will have earned around £100 and already made back the cost of your course.
All referees aged 16 years or over who wish to officiate in youth football must undertake an FA CRC enhanced check. This is a simple online process which will be fully explained to you during the course. Certification last for 3 years.
The course includes a mixture of practical and theory work. You will receive the following training:
- Introduction to Refereeing
- Practical Referee Training
- Fouls and Misconduct Training
- Practical Referee Training and Evaluation
- Experience and Mentored unit
- FA Examination & Call Back unit
Herefordshire FA provide a strong support network for newly qualified referees. In addition to being mentored early-on, you will be invited to attend development sessions with relevant advice available. You can also contact the County FA Referee Development Team at any time should you have any issues or questions.
Once qualified you will start out as either an FA Level 8 Referee (If Under 16) or an FA Level 7 Referee (if aged 16+).
Herefordshire FA is keen to see and help its referees develop and progress to achieve their full potential and as such, have a structured promotion pathway for referees. The basic requirement is that you must have refereed a minimum of 20 games prior to seeking to be promoted. Applications to Herefordshire FA for promotion are made during February of each year. For further details contact your Referee Development Officer at the County FA offices.